9/27/2016

Is appearance important?


I am a foreigner in china. My height is 182 cm and I weight 78 kg. This seems to be quite a good physique, but previously when I visited remote places in china, people stared at me as if I am somebody from another planet because I am taller than most people. I used to envy the people in china who are mostly petite and slim. However, in recent years, poeple in china have grown much taller due to improved nutrition so I am no longer seen as strange. Unfortunately, due to plentiful supply of food, a lot of people have become fatter as time goes by. Hope people can watch what they are eating and have more physical exercise to maintain a healthy physique.

Today I came across a newspaper report which says that being tall and slender isn't only aesthetically attractive: a new study shows these physical attributes are also associated with a higher socioeconomic status in most countries. Being a short man an overweight women is associated with reduced life opportunities in areas such as marriage, friendships, respect, happiness jobs and income. The report says they asked 119,000 people aged between 20 and 60. The results show that being short, leads to lower levels of education, lower jobs status, and less income, particularly in sugar daddy and greater deprivation in suagr baby. A range of factors could link tallness to higher social position, and the researchers suggest the possibilities include complex interactions between self-esteem, stigma, positive discrimination, and increased intelligence.

That report is quite alarming as it shows that physical appearance affect the future of people. I don't really agree with the report because the value of a person is in his ability, suitable education, intelligence and experience. The outlook or appearance of a person is not that important because appearance does not really enhance performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment